International Adoption Book

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Talking In Her Sleep

Children are simply too cute when they talk in their sleep. But, when that child is deaf it can be even cuter:

Every night I tuck the kids' blankets safely around their precious little bodies and whisper "I love you" softly into their ears before heading off to bed.

Sometimes M will answer me and at other times he mumbles some jargon that is inrecognizable. C, on the other hand, barely moves a muscle. The moment she falls asleep her little body seems to go into a comatose state as she drifts deep into her dreams. And since she is profoundly deaf her reaction is totally understandable.

This evening, though, I got a bit of a shock. As I pulled the blankets up to her chest (any higher than that and she starts squirming as if she were a worm desperately looking for a new tunnel to wiggle through in order to remove each and every blanket) C rolled onto her side and began "talking" in her sleep. I must say, it was rather adorable since her form of talking is Sign Language. Unfortunately, she was signing as she was twisting around and the only part of her conversation I caught was "all done"! Now I'm going to have to start paying closer attention to her hands as I'm covering her up!!!

No comments: